St. Mary Catholic
In 1867, Father O’Meara and Miss Maggie McCowan were the first to organize a small group of volunteer lay teachers, and Saint Mary Catholic School was born. The school came at a time of great transition and growth within Mobile. The Civil War had ended and the process of reconstruction had begun. Mobile’s population had grown to a staggering 30,000, which meant there was a need for educating the Catholic youth in the growing community.
In 1898, Father M.F. Filan brought the Sisters of Mercy from Ireland, laying a solid foundation for Saint Mary School.
For more than a century, Saint Mary Catholic School has continued to educate the leaders of our community. Today, through faith formation and a stellar education, Saint Mary continues to produce pioneers and leaders. St. Mary Catholic School is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. This accreditation requires the school to meet higher educational standards.
Through parish and parent involvement and an excellent administrative staff and faculty we currently offer two classes per grade, with a current enrollment of over 500 students. Today St. Mary Catholic School remains in a constant state of growth and revitalization. As Mobile continues to grow and develop, so does the face of our school. Uniquely situated in historic midtown and near McGill-Toolen Catholic High School, St. Mary provides families from various professional backgrounds convenient access to a quality education for their children.
St. Mary Catholic School is the oldest existing Catholic elementary school in Alabama. Today the main building is home to kindergarten through fifth grade classrooms, science lab, computer lab, resource room, library, gym, and a full-service cafeteria. The top floor of the Sisters of Mercy Building is home to our middle school (6th-8th grades), while the bottom floor houses our pre-school classrooms for three and four year-olds.